A look back at the year that ended 13-0 for the #1 ranked LSU Tigers.
- Crisis Management Award= Les Miles- Never has a coach gone through so much in one season and never missed a beat. Miles showed what true head coaching is all about, steady leadership. One of the best coaching jobs in college football history. Compare how Miles handled adversity to that of legendary Joe Paterno. No comparison.
- Survivor Award=Steve Kragthorpe-An announcement that stunned Tiger nation was when Kragthorpe revealed he had Parkinson’s and was relinquishing his OC duties to Coach Stud. Kragthorpe still helped Jarrett Lee and Jordan Jefferson play better than ever before and was key in the recruitment of # 1 QB Gunner Kiel. Congrats Coach Krag!
- Johnny On The Spot Award=Coach Studrawa-When Kragthorpe stepped down, Studrawa stepped up. LSU averaged 39 points a game and the offensive line played magnificently.
- The Totally Redeemed Yourself Award= Tyrann Mathieu-The Honey Badger may have cost himself a legitimate shot at the Heisman with his suspension for synthetic marijuana, but he came back with a vengeance against Arkansas and Georgia. If LSU is to beat Alabama for a 2nd time, Mathieu must have an impact.
- The Totally Redeemed Yourself Award Part 2= Jordan Jefferson- JJ made one of the worst decisions of his young life
when he decided to go to Shady’s bar that fateful night, but returned to the team and won back his starting job. Jefferson could have been a major distraction, but wasn’t.
- I Love You Man Award=Jarrett Lee-Even his own coaches thought it best for Lee to transfer to another school, but he hung in there and led LSU to an 8-0 start with Jefferson suspended. Lee may end his career as one of the most beloved figures in LSU history. On Senior day Lee got the loudest ovation of any graduating player.
- Can You Hear Me Now Award=Morris Claiborne-Claiborne doesn’t have a flashy nickname or talk a lot of trash. All he does is go out and play outstanding football each week. One of the quietest superstars to ever play at LSU.
- Best Reason For Foreign Exchange Students=Brad Wing- Wing garnered a lot of notoriety for being the first player to cost his team a touchdown for taunting. He also became a major weapon for the Tigers with his booming kicks and ability to drop the ball inside the 10 yard line. The SEC has great punt returners, but none were able to get going against Wing. Wing has been the best Aussie import since Crocodile Dundee.
- Out Of The Doghouse Award=Michael Ford- Ford has been in and out of Les Miles doghouse for much of his career, but ended up leading the Tigers in rushing this season. Ford’s big run in overtime against Alabama sealed the victory for LSU.
- My Personal Favorite Tiger Award=Kenny Hilliard-Not only
does Hilliard have my namesake, but he is also related to my all-time favorite Tiger Dalton Hilliard. That is enough for him to garner an award each year he is a Tiger.
- Best Year Ever Award=2011-Since the BCS championship game will be played in 2012, LSU will forever be undefeated in 2011 going 14-0 if you count the Cotton Bowl victory over Texas A&M. You can’t get much better than that.
- A special thanks to all who read this blog. Our goal is to keep going as long as possible. The LSU Hub also promises to not ask for money or donations from our readers. Our only way of generating some income is the ads on our page, so hopefully those don’t bother you too much. Thanks and the Hub hopes 2012 is even greater for all Tiger fans!
Posted by Ken Washam